Can You Get Financial Help to Buy Hearing Aids?
Yes, help is available!
First, please note that unfortunately, Medicare doesn’t cover hearing aids, though legislation has been repeatedly introduced to do so. Medicare does pay for cochlear implants if the recipient meets certain requirements.
Most private insurance plans don’t cover hearing aids, though it’s worth checking to see if your insurance will.
In Washington State, Medicaid does cover hearing aids and hearing care for adults and children.
Here are some other ways to get the hearing aids you need.
- Northwest Access Fund provides low-interest loans for hearing aids and other assistive technologies.
- Hearing, Speech & Deafness Center (HSDC) provides audiology services and lower-cost, refurbished hearing aids. Their main office is in downtown Seattle, but they have offices across the state.
- The Northwest Lions Foundation has a hearing aid assistance program.
- Sertoma can help some people afford a hearing aid (and accepts donations of hearing aids.)
- The Miracle Ear Foundation offers hearing aids to people in need.
- The Veterans Administration provides free or low-cost hearing aids for veterans. Contact your nearest VA facility.
- If you’re in the workforce, or striving to be, the Washington State Division of Vocational Rehabilitation may help. If you lost your hearing due to a workplace injury, you could qualify for help from Washington State Labor & Industries.
- Costco has hearing aids that many people find affordable and appropriate for their needs, and if you’re an AARP member, you may qualify for their 20% discount off certain digital hearing aids.
- If you reside outside Washington State, here are a few other resources specific to certain areas of the country.
- If a child has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), they may qualify for a hearing aid.
- Help America Hear is a last-resort option for those who have exhausted their financial resources.
- Finally, the Hearing Industries Association has published this outstanding guide for financial assistance.